JOURNALISM EDUCATION FOR DEMOCRACY IN UKRAINE:
DEVELOPING STANDARDS, INTEGRITY AND PROFESSIONALISM
Project acronym: DESTIN
National Joint Project
Priority – Higher Education and Society
Project duration: 15 November 2018 – 14 November 2021
EU funding instrument: European Neighbourhood Instrument (Erasmus+: КА2 CBHE)
Erasmus+ (CBHE) grant amount: 798 470.00 €
Target groups: Ukraine and EU Universities, university students, secondary schools, employers i.e. Journalism staff teams, media managers, lifelong learning.
Grant holder: Bath Spa University (United Kingdom).
Official web-site of the project: http://www.destin-project.info
A1. Curriculum Reform: to reform, start to deliver and evaluate new/revised curriculum for 9 BA and 11 MA Journalism programmes (2 degrees in each of the 10 Ukrainian partner universities), and the institutional quality assurance for academic programmes, so that all new/revised programmes are aligned with European Qualifications Frameworks (EQF), meeting European standards of integrity and professionalism, improving students’ industry engagement, career preparation and employability, and enabling staff and students to develop strong and sustainable connections with European journalism departments and associations;
A2. Curriculum Context: to enhance the media environment in which Journalism graduates will work: improving the ‘media literacy’ of key target groups, providing new opportunities for Journalism students to engage with public audiences during their training, and raising public awareness of the vital role of journalists and media in the promotion and protection of citizens’ rights within a multi-cultural democracy.
Specific project objectives are:
– to audit (desk review) all current curriculum (20 degrees), with gap analyses and action plans;
– to train curriculum teams in the alignment of programmes and QA with EQF standards;
– to use European models of Journalism education to inform curriculum reform;
– to train academic and professional staff in principles and processes of peer review;
– to conduct peer review (including 10 site visits) of all new/revised programmes;
– to deliver and evaluate the first year of all new/revised BA and MA programmes;
– to produce National Guideline Statements for BA and MA Journalism education;
– to maximize public stakeholder engagement and participation in the work of the project;
– to deliver and evaluate Outreach Media-Literacy Courses for target groups;
– to maximize the sustainability of the work and outputs of the project.
The DESTIN project will be conducted through many kind of activities: from confidential discussions with an external stakeholder and analysis of anonomysed student opinion to large public conferences and open online discussion forums. All of the tools and methodologies employed are tried and tested means of educational management, staff and student development, and ethical change management in general. The style of ‘presentations’ may occasionally appear didactic (depending on the presenter) but the pedagogical design and ethos for conferences, meetings etc. will be inclusive and interactive (as in the spirit of SCL).
– Qualitative changes in development of journalism education in Ukraine through audit, assessment, review of existing and delivering of new or revised curricula for 9 BA and 11 MA Journalism programmes in 10 Ukrainian universities with the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) and European standards of integrity and professionalism.
– Development of National Guideline Statements for BA and MA journalism education in Ukraine.
– Creation of interaction and cooperation network between universities, national employers and students self-government in the field of journalism education in Ukraine.
– Creation of interaction and cooperation network between Ukraine and EU universities and professional organizations in the field of journalism education.
– Development of Media-Literacy Online Courses for non-professionals target groups in the field of journalism, media and communications.
– Creation and launching of specialized website for further dissemination and exploitation of DESTIN project results.
Bath Spa University, United Kingdom
Coordinator and General Manager:
Prof. Ian Gadd, Head of Development of European Projects, Bath Spa University
Contacts: tel: +44 (0)1225 875455, email: email@example.com
Project coordinator in Ukraine:
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Institute of Journalism
tel.: +380(44) 239 31 82,+380(44) 239 31 66, +380 (44) 239 31 50, fax: +380(44) 239 31 00, +380(44) 239 31 50 (Office for International Cooperation)
tel.: +380(44) 481 44 01, fax: +380(44) 483 09 81 (Institute of Journalism)
Responsible person: Bogdana Nosova, Associate Professor of Social Communications Department, Institute of Journalism
Contacts: tel.: +380505064732 (Mobile); email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkasy, Department of Journalism, Advertising and PR-technologies
Tel.: +38(0472) 37 21 42, +38(0472) 35 44 63,
fax: +38(0472) 35 44 63
Responsible person: Svitlana Koval, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Journalism, Advertising and PR-technologies
tel.: +380504645074 (Mobile), +380979761979 (Mobile);
|Academician Stepan Demianchuk International University of Economics and Humanities
Tel.: +38(0362) 63 72 34, fax: +38(0362) 23 01 86
Responsible person: Olha Mitchuk, Dean of the Faculty of Journalism
tel.: +380964107513 (Mobile), +380503393424 (Mobile),
|Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Faculty of Journalism;
tel.: +38(032) 261 14 91, +38(032) 239 47 24, +38(032) 239 41 82
Responsible person: Nataliia Habor, Associate Professor at New Media Department
tel.: +380505052045 (Mobile)
|Mariupol State University
tel.: +38 (0629) 58 75 90
fax: +38 (0629) 53 22 70
Responsible person: Svitlana Bezchotnikova, Professor
tel.: +380972454231 (Mobile)
|Sumy State University
tel./fax: +38(0542) 68 77 55, +38(0542) 64 04 99
Responsible person: Kostyantyn Kyrychenko, Head of the International Affairs Office of Sumy State University
tel/fax: +38 (0542) 33 10 81,
|Ukrainian Catholic University, School of Journalism;
tel.: +38(032) 240 99 40,
Responsible person: Iurii Opoka, Head of the Master's Program in Journalism
tel. +380674555358 (Mobile)
|Uzhhorod National University, Faculty of Philology, Department of Journalism
tel.: +380503723767 (Mobile), +38 (03122) 3 33 41,
fax: +38 (03122) 3 42 02
Responsible person: Galyna Shapovalova, Associate Professor at Journalism Department, Faculty of Philology
tel.: +380501625285 (Mobile),
|Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University
tel.: +38(0372) 58 48 10 – Rector,
+38(0372) 58 47 02 – Department of Journalism,
fax: +38(0372) 55 29 14, +38(0372) 58 47 07
Responsible person: Roman Paziuk, Assistant Professor at the Department of Journalism
tel.: +380667853822 (Mobile)
|Zaporizhzhia National University, Faculty of Journalism;
tel.: +380(61) 289 41 11, +380(61) 289 12 24
fax: +380(61) 228 75 08
Responsible person: Katerina Sirinyok-Dolgaryova, Associate Professor at Department of Journalism, Faculty of Journalism
tel.: +380661114753 (Mobile)
|PO "Hromadkse Radio"
tel: +38(044) 279 72 09
Responsible person: Nataliia Klochun, Grant manager,
tel.: +380954865638 (Mobile)
|NGO "Ukrainian Association of Students"
tel. mobile: +380939150872, +380734997970
Responsible person: Lidiia Fesenko, President
tel.: +380939150872 (Mobile)
|Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
tel.: +38(044) 481 32 78, +38(044) 481 32 79,
fax: +38(044) 481 47 55
Responsible person: Lyubov Shchitka, Acting Head of International Cooperation and European Integration Department
tel.: +38(044) 481 32 69,